Friday, November 4, 2011

Singer 15

I am hoping someone out there can help me.  I am using my normal machine and for last couple days, I have been trying to sew binding onto a quilt, and I can sew maybe three or four inches and the top thread breaks.  I have cleaned the tension, cleaned the entire machine, changed needles.  I even switched different brands of thread and I am still having the same problem.  I even adjusted the foot pressure.  It sews fine while doing patchwork, just cannot get it to work on sewing binding on.

If any one is familiar with a Singer 15, let me know what I might be doing wrong.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not there so I'm just guessing, but it sounds like the needle is not big enough. If I were having this problem I would change to jeans needle in size 14/90 and according to the results may need to move up to a 16/100 or an 18/110. A darning/sharp needle might work, but sometimes a jeans needle is just what is needed. Please let me know if this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is good that you are quiltong agian i hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first thing that came to my mind was the needle is too small. Also is the thread you are using sitting on the spool the right way. some threads feed from the front and others from the back. Sounds crazy I know but I have proved this a few times to many quilters.
    Nice to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, am I glad you are back. Hope you got the problem solved as simply as changing a needle size. Got a special something from you this weekend, and would love to reciprocate. Do you have new contact info you could share offline?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - glad to see your post come up... Hope all is well. Are you using a walking foot when you do binding but not when you piece? If so, I would check the walking foot and see if the fabric is advancing correctly - just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jay, if its still giving you problems--check for a burr on the needle plate. Sand it with a very fine emery cloth. Check the bobbin case for a nick too.

    ReplyDelete