Monday, March 29, 2010

Teaching kids to quilt - homeless quilts

I teach many young kids, how to quilt.  Mostly all the items are for charity, more specifically the homeless problem in our area.  By working with the local synagogue we are able to get donations of fabric, and I have found several machines that work for this group.  There is also a second group that I work with and they are more advanced in technique and through the library, we will be able to start making quilts for Quilts of Valor.


So I thought I would share some of the quilts the kids and I made at the synagogue in the past weeks.  They aren't pretty, well they are, but in that unique loving way.  They are very warm, with mattress pads as batting, and flannel on the back.  Two are pieced with cotton on the top, and the pink one is all double knit.

3 comments:

  1. Those kids are having fun. Whoever gets these quilts will be warm and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Jay and how wonderful that you are teaching others to help those less fortunate - I think that's one of them most important things we can teach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful that you are getting the kids involved in this project :)

    ReplyDelete